Wednesday, July 23, 2014

St-Eustache, Paris

I always like my final full day in Paris to be a Sunday so that I can hear the magnificent organ in a 30-minute recital at 5:30.  I got there a bit late and had but 10 minutes to take a few photos before realizing that I had to get a seat or forget it.  The day's recital had been extended, starting 15 minutes earlier than usual so that we could hear all of Moussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition, arranged by the organist at St-Eustache, Jean Guillou (published in 2005 by Schott).  I was pleased to discover that there is a 3-minute excerpt from this performance on Youtube.  It reminds me that he seemed a bit hurried at the beginning.  He performed by memory, which suggests that this is an important work in his considerable repertoire.  The acoustics were magnificent. 

This was to be the final cultural highlight of this year's stay.  Upon our return, we had a final meal with the Bloughs, ensured our luggage was nearly packed, and turned in.

If you wish to see some of my earlier photos of St-Eustache, either click on the blue link or look up St Eustache in the list of labels for this blog.