Sunday, December 21, 2008

Snow fall at night in Vancouver, Dec. 21st, first day of winter


This year, December 21st marks the first day of winter and the Fourth Sunday of Advent. My concert season ended for 2008, admist Vancouver's first heavy snow storm. Although churches were not closed, they were sparsely populated. I had to dig out my car after loading it with music stands.

I took these pictures at 8:30 this evening (hand-held, -2 C), using only street and Christmas lights for illumination. The evening exuded a calmness that was soothing after days of rehearsing and singing. During the 15 minutes of shooting, neither cars nor people were seen or heard. Falling snow is difficult to photograph at night, particularly without a tripod, but several pictures at least suggest why my camera had to be thoroughly dried afterward.